Winnsboro church of Christ

PDF Print E-mail
Our History
The first recorded meetings of the Winnsboro Church of Christ are of 1942, when six families joined together meeting first in the Winnsboro City Auditorium. In 1943 the congregation had 103 members. They moved to the American Legion. In 1951 the church purchased the old Winnsboro Hospital on North Main. They met there until 1967 when they purchased the property on East Coke where the current building stands. The current worship center was constructed in 2002 and the debt retired in 2008.

The first elders were appointed in 1953, being Lum Presley, Jim Nelson, Virgil Jones, Otis Vick and E.H. Smith. The church has been served by 20 preaching ministers since its beginning. Gerald Elliott has served the church since December 2004. Over the years, several summer interns have helped with the youth. Since 2008, the church has had a full-time associate/youth minister. Tony Tucker is our current associate/youth minister. He began his work with the church in 2010.

The church has supported mission efforts around the world and near to home. Camp Deer Run has always been a major part of Winnsboro’s outreach. Seeing the importance of youth development, the church has also supported preacher training and apprentice missionary workers. Over the years mission groups have traveled to Mexico and more recently to the inner city of Houston. One major event each year for the church is Family Day which takes place the fourth Sunday of September.